The Shepherd Journey

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Forgiveness

This morning our Pastor spoke about forgiveness. A subject that is very touchy for me. I feel like forgiveness is something I struggle with especially when a person hurts me not once but over and over again. This message has exposed my sin and made me think I am so thankful that Christ has forgiven me and will keep forgiven me over and over again. But how can I do the same?
Today's sermon from Eph. 4:25-32 and Col. 2:12-14

Forgive = Canceled debt; it's supernatural and the work of the holy spirit 
Forgiveness Truths:
1. Promotes truth and exposes lies (Eph 4:25)
2. Seeks Reconciliation through conflict (Eph. 4:26)
3. Hinders the enemy (Eph. 4:27)
4. Combats laziness and encourages contribution (Eph 4:28)
5. Allows words to be constructive NOT destructive 
6. Displays the work of the Holy Spirit 
Bitterness is the root of wrath (Eph. 4:31)
Bitterness fruit:
  • Wrath
  • Anger
  • Clamor
  • Slander 
  • Malice
At the end of this sermon I have realized that I had so much bitterness and anger toward my mother from my childhood and the things that she has done in her life that I don't agree with. So much that I sobbed like a baby after Pastor Ty finished his sermon. My soul was dug into and was exposed to the anger I have against her. My mother and I are 2 very different people and don't see eye to eye on many things. For many years, I have wanted to seek reconciliation with my mother especially through conflict because we have this quite a bit. There are so many times I get off the phone with her that I am so angry, I cry. My natural response is to cry when I am extremely angry and when I feel like I have no control over the situation. My feelings seem to get hurt often with disappointment because of the way she responds to my decisions. I also seem to not see her point of view with her lifestyle and the way that she treats me or has treated me. I have also realized I have developed bitterness fruit toward my mother, something I knew I had but held back for so long. There are times we can't communicate and maybe it is because I let the sun go down on my anger each and every day because she avoids conflict but I want it to be resolved and the fact that I have not forgiven her. One day I hope that we can come to an understanding to love one another and to be kind without conflict. That I will be able to forgive completely and move forward instead of looking back at my past. That I would stop holding that ace of spade in my pocket to get back at her. I just want to be at peace with our relationship and that one day I can move onto reconciliating my relationship with my father. 
Not only has my relationships with my parents been hindered but the enemy has had a foothold between God and myself. The Holy Spirit has been hindered because I have not forgiven. Forgiveness is my first step and accepting that Jesus has forgiven me so I should and can forgive. I know this will not be an overnight change but I am listening and have a desire to reconcile my relationships here on earth and with God. 
Something I will try to remember on a daily basis:
I will FORGIVE as Christ has FORGIVEN me! 
Is there someone you struggle to forgive?
If you would like to listen to the sermon this week go to:
Grace Point Message

I think the song Forgivness by Matthew West says it best!



No comments:

Post a Comment