So, after reading an article about breastfeeding (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/7311/1/) I am slightly annoyed not by the fact that I can relate to the article and understand why the author feels the way they do but its the way ppl look at the world of breastfeeding. Yes, I agree breast milk is a great way to provide for your child as long as they are thriving and you have an abundant amount for your child to get enough from you. Unlike myself, I tried for 4 months. Since the day she was born we had supplemented with her because of her jaundice. My milk did not come in until about the 4th or 5th day and the lactation nurse said I would have plentiful. Hmm..where did it go? I would feed Kaelyn every two hours for 30, 45, to sometimes an hour at a time and turn right back around 2 hours later and feed her again. There were days that I was so tired, wanted a break from an infant being attatched to my boob BUT mostly wanting my child to be satisfied from myself feeding her. Day after day, week after week, month after month I kept pressing on thinking I can do this, hang in there! Coaching myself, torturing myself...thinking I want to quit so bad, but I can't because breast milk is better for Kaelyn. I felt guilty and still feel guilty as I write this that I can no longer breastfeed her and only because the world looks down upon mothers who do not breastfeed.
Which brings me to my next point! If "breast is best" and the world thinks that we should breastfeed our children for a year...where is the convenience, the comfort, the quiet room, the privacy, the work place and the public eye support? As, I breastfed Kaelyn and I went out to department stores, went grocery shopping and doing the errands I needed to do on a daily basis there was no other place besides Babies R Us where I could find privacy to feed my baby. Hmm, not going to go to Babies R Us every time I go out to the public to breastfeed. Guess what? That store supports babies and their moms! Can you go to wal-mart? Olive Garden? Is there a room that a breastfeeding mother can feed their baby...NO! So, what does a mommy do when they need to feed their baby, pull out their boob in front anybody and everybody and feed them. Now, I dunno about you but I wasn't one of those women who could just do that. Even though I had the trendy "Hooter-Hider" I still felt like I was all out there. I couldn't just be out in public with my boob hanging out so a complete stranger could look at something that is so private and intimate. Those are for only one pair of eyes and that's for my husband to see. I just couldn't do it especially if men were around and unfortunately some get offended! The sad thing is if I didn't have a baby attached then some men would love it! Hmm...the world today!
So, from experience a mom who once was a stay at home that had the privilege to stay home and breastfeed my baby for 4 months was a blessing! Those who get to stay home and make their day out of nourishing their babies exclusively are blessed! Its just plain out easier! But now I am a working mother, providing for my baby financially! I am still nourishing my baby but with man made milk. A formula that was designed for my baby to survive makes me thankful. Without it I would be miserable, not only myself but my baby would be starving. If you think about it babies will eventually get baby food which is made by man. Are they going to say that adult food it better than baby food? Plus, breastfeeding is good but by 6 months its not completely sufficient you have to feed them baby food in order to get their nutrients. So, I dunno why its a big thing between formula and breast milk when your baby will still be exposed to man made product like formula!? I just don't want breastfeeding moms to look down on those who cant whether its because of work, or for whatever reason, it isn't fair. My baby is nourished, cared for, loved and our bond is strong! I love her and would do anything to be able to give her the best that I can. The best of what I can do right now is to work, to provide financially, to nourish her with formula not breast milk but formula. She is fed, she is healthy and she is smart! She is no different from any other kid who was breastfed for a whole year. In fact, I give it up for the moms who can do it! They have perseverance because I know its not easy to breastfeed at home or in public. You are self sacrificing but so is your working mom that has no other choice but to go to work and to nourish her baby in another way.
If the world wants us mothers to breastfeed and its the best then provide for the mothers and babies. Don't get offended that a mother is breastfeeding out in the open, they have no choice. That or like a friend told me that she went into Target's bathroom and sat on the toilet just to breastfeed her baby. I am sure that was comfortable for her and the baby!? Believe me if I had a private place to go to I would much rather do it there then having to expose myself to other ppl around me. Breastfeeding is a good thing but so is formula. I see no difference in either one because both provide and feed your child. Which ever way you choose is what's best for you and your baby. Breastfeeding for 4 months was an accomplishment for me because it was something I struggled with and something I desired not to do but I kept doing it for Kaelyn until I had to go back to work. Advice to give to mommies who are breastfeeding that does have to go back to work...pump all you can and freeze it so your baby can have as much as they can before you no longer have breast milk. That is another man made product that is a blessing...a pump! Though they aren't sufficient as a baby breastfeeding but they do the job and still provide for your baby. I know some mom's don't see breastfeeding as a hardship but I did...it was hard feeding day in and out 30-45 mins every 2 hours! No, I am not complaining but sharing that breastfeeding isn't easy but understanding why some mom's would decide not to breastfeed or why they can't!
Ok, so besides this whole breastfeeding babbling! I love my baby and God has blessed me with a beautiful baby! I love to see her beautiful smile every morning and she makes my heart light up every day!
PS- Besides I think she likes to eat her feet and hands more than her baba! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment