The Shepherd Journey

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First Scare!

It started probably about two weeks ago on a Thursday. Kaelyn was a little grumpy and we thought at first it was her little molars that were growing in because she was drooling more than usual and just being moody. The very next day I felt her head and she was burning hot. Her temp was up to 103 so we gave her some tylenol to see if it would bring it down. It went down maybe to 102 and probably stayed that away most of the day. I didn't think much of it but was a little worried. Saturday rolled around and her temp was between 101-102 so that morning I decided to call the doctor and ask what I should do. They told me to give her motrin and tylenol and to keep light clothes on her let her run around in her diaper. Well, it wasn't going down so we decided to go to the E.R. and called the on call nurse as we were leaving the house. She called back before we got there and told us to keep her home and do what we were doing. Motrin was helping bringing her temp down to 100-101 and breaking it but her temp kept spiking at the end of the night. Saturday afternoon around 4 she ended up throwing up and it happened to be all over her car-seat! This was the first time I have ever gagged with Kaelyn. Never had her poop smells ever grossed me out or made me gag but this puke was absolutely disgusting. She had only been drinking a little bit of water, milk and she actually ate some yogurt that day. It came back up as cottage cheese texture and smelt like rotten milk....ick!! Tim literally had to open the car door so I wouldn't puke as well! I was thankful at that moment that she had thrown up as soon as we entered the parking lot to our apartment. Not only was thankful for that but I was thankful Tim was off work all weekend to help with our little sick baby. Tim usually gets one weekend off a month and this was his/our weekend as a family to be together. I wouldn't have known or probably would have worried more if he wasn't with me all weekend.
Sunday rolled around and we decided to stay home and miss church. We almost decided to take her to the doctor but her fever had gone down and she seemed to be doing ok and was drinking a little more and eating. The next day I called the doctor and got us in that afternoon. She had 100 degree temp and still acting icky. The doctor had said he had two things in mind of what she may have because she had been carrying a fever off and on for 4 days. He said it could have been a UTI or worst case scenario pneumonia. He gave us 2 options to do a urinary test which consists of in-n-out catheter to collect urine from her and/or chest x-ray. My gut feeling was I didn't think it was pneumonia and the doctor couldn't hear it. So I opt to do the urinary test to make sure it wasn't a UTI! I just didn't want her to be anymore miserable than she was already. The great thing about UTI testing was you get results in a few minutes while you are at the doctor. Well, Kaelyn's had to be difficult! Something was neg and one was positive. So they had no idea and said they had to get it cultured to see if there were any results but would take 2 days. So we said ok and the doctor prescribed some medicine just in case if it was bacterial virus.
The next day Kaelyn woke up and I was getting her breakfast ready in the kitchen I noticed little red dots all over her head, a little on her neck and somewhat on her chest. I was somewhat freaked out and called the pediatrician right away. Guess what it was??? Roseola! It is a virus that 4 month-4 years can catch. It happens usually around her age. They can carry a high fever for 3-5 days and then once the fever breaks they break out in a rash that look like rose colored patches!
Thank goodness something turned out!! Two days later the pediatrician called and said her culture came back negative that everything looked good. Her rash had left her body by then. I have no clue and neither did the doctor know why they catch it. I guess its one of those crazy things that babies can catch! I felt so bad for my baby girl. She was pitful because she wanted to lay on me the whole time and watch her shows. She didn't eat or drink much and probably lost at least 2 lbs. All I have to say is I hope she never develops a high fever for days like she did two weeks. Scared us half to death!! It makes me so grateful to have a healthy baby and this virus is nothing compared to the little chronically ill children out there. I have no idea how they coop with what they have to deal with on a daily basis!! Thank you Lord for looking over our little baby girl!!

Now she is back to all smiles and a happy little thing as usual!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad she is feeling better. It is hard to have to go through all the aches and pains watching them and not being able to help much or know what to do. She is beautiful and I hope she continues to feel better. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete